Friday, January 02, 2009

Enough

Change is a natural part of life, but sometimes you have to be dragged into newness by circumstances or by others who have forced you to change.

When the universe, or Fate, or God, has decided that you have had enough of something, you are given clues that it is time to move on. If you don’t heed those clues, somehow you are moved along anyway, like when a job is lost or a person ceases to be a positive force in your life.

When you are thrown into change you weren’t expecting, you may complain about your bad luck and the awful things that have happened to you. You may stay in the past by repeating your sad stories.

But the state of “enough” is a turning point. It can be a springboard for a high flying leap into a better way of life. When you realize that you have been given a clean slate, a “tabula rasa,” that you can decide for yourself to move forward because you have had enough, then you give yourself freedom.

I am not an authority on life-changing, but I have had plenty of practice. Every “enough” opens a new door, and it’s even better when you can make a thoughtful change based on your own choices, rather than what is forced upon you.

My “enough” decisions are meant to improve my life experience.

I’ve had enough of:

Fast, processed, overpriced, convenience food. Cooking from “scratch” is fun, creative, and healthful, not to mention less expensive in the long run, especially if I factor in the health care savings when I take good care of myself by eating well. Slow food is my new (old) choice.

Rude, apathetic, inconsiderate, or unhelpful service workers. Any store or business that wants MY business needs to know if their employees are repelling customers rather than serving them kindly. And speaking up when I’m treated poorly is an act of self-respect. I’ll practice courtesy to workers and expect the same in return.

Gossip and judgmental behavior. I won’t participate in putting other people down, and I won’t stick around and listen when others are doing so. I wouldn’t want someone talking about my life, and it is no one else’s business anyway. I’ll let folks live their own lives without adding my two cents. No one ever asks to be gossiped about or judged. Kindness is my choice.

Being serious and worried. Aren’t we supposed to enjoy life? That is nearly impossible when stressing about what could go wrong or isn’t going right. There is always room for a sense of humor, and laughing is exercise for the mind, body and soul. If the need for being serious arises, I’m sure I’ll be able to shift into that mode. It’s like riding a bike – you don’t forget how. When I exercise my sense of humor, my life will be a comedy.

Waiting too long to get started. Procrastination defies the authority of the clock and the never-stopping time that marches on past deadlines and others waiting for me. I will start wearing my wristwatch with the alarm and the timer again, so I can wake myself from the trance that I get immersed in when I am concentrating on something. I’ll work on starting sooner and getting done earlier. This change will undoubtedly be helpful to the people in my life, and I like to be helpful.

Change is an opportunity to learn, and finding the moment of “enough” gives me the chance to grow. My theory is that change, learning and growth will keep me feeling young, so it’s all good. I’m feeling younger already.


Published in The Daily Telegram, Adrian, Michigan, August 2007.

1 comment:

Gene Brady said...

Terrifically insightful. Almost poetic. Every paragraph, every observation I could relate to. Been there, but never expressed as well as this.