Sunday, February 19, 2012

Spring Cleaning


Social media has changed my life. Two and a half years ago, I had a limited range of acquaintances and few avenues for meeting new friends. Facebook changed all that, because since I joined the social networking site in 2009, I have expanded my group of both "friends" and Friends (the latter being the real deal).

Facebook has also been a wonderful outlet for my poetry, for meeting poets, artists and musicians, for learning about fun events, and for keeping in touch with people who live far from me. But, I can tell that it has become an addiction, something that I think I can't go a day without - and I want to get some perspective.

If I hadn't joined Facebook, I would not have met Chris Matthias, who now lives in Seattle, Washington, but who I "met" when he lived in my city of Adrian, Michigan. Chris and I have not really met in person, but have exchanged comments online, and I think he is a stand-up kind of guy.

When Chris posted a few days ago that he was giving up Facebook for Lent, along with several other habits, I paid attention. Although I was baptized in the Catholic church, I am not a practicing Catholic, but the idea of focused intention on my actions seems like a practice I could get some insights from. I also like the idea that this is leading up to spring, and since I'm already in the mood for "spring cleaning", it fits in perfectly.

I won't give up Facebook completely, because I have events and contacts there that need attention, but I will be limiting my time there to devote to other pursuits and activities.

I'm still working on my "Plan for Peace" for the period of February 22nd through April 7th, but I have a lot of ideas. I will most likely be highly optimistic and shoot for the moon, but if I don't aim high, how will I ever get off the ground?

Chris stated that he will still be in contact with friends and that he'll be writing a blog here http://takingontheguesswork.wordpress.com/2012/02/. I told him that I was following his lead, and he encouraged me to do so, which leads to me "resurrecting" MY blog. I'm looking forward to writing more on a regular basis, the kind of writing that is not limited to Facebook posts or notes. I hope you choose to follow my progress. Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts, too.

Peace to you,

Jackie

No comments: